September 14, 2013

Shower Tile Ideas

I'm excited to be doing this post as I hope I could find some great ideas for my clients, while researching for this.  I design a lot of showers and one of my biggest struggles is what can we do to really give this space a unique look, without it looking dated in a few years or breaking the bank.  I also like to do something a little different for each client and that creates even more angst in coming up with something creative.

Subway tile is everywhere now, but sometimes you need more than just an all white shower.  This is a great way of adding a little "oomph" to an otherwise plain installation.

Or just by changing the direction of the white subway tile, you create a little more interest in the shower.  I also love the hexagon shape they used on this shower floor.
It can be tricky taking an accent tile out of the shower.  I like how they not only created a ledge inside the shower, but carried it onto the vanity.  Smart!
This is a common example of how border tiles are installed.  What makes me like this one is that the accent tiles are just a few shades darker than the main tiles and they are duplicated on the shower floor.  It's a contrast without being too loud.
Tile panels are a cost-effective way of bringing in an accent tile.  They can be made in all shapes and sizes and even recessed for a more custom look.  My best advice for this idea is to not highlight your faucets, but to locate it on the wall you see first as you walk into the bathroom.  Think of it as a piece of art!
See how much prettier this would have looked if all those other things weren't distracting your eye? 

Finally, in this small shower the accent tile has more presence because it's tied into the vanity area.  Another great example of simple subway tiles turned up a notch!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Jennifer Taylor Design All rights reserved © 2012

I am a HowJoyful Design by Joy Kelley